The Oakland Aviation Museum is housed in the original Boeing School of Aeronautics
Established by Boeing, it was an entire school dedicated to training pilots, mechanics and other personnel specifically for Boeing Air Transport, the airline subsidiary of the Boeing Airplane Company. The company chose a site at the Oakland Municipal Airport in California, the largest municipal airport in the United States at that time. The Boeing School of Aeronautics opened on Sept. 16, 1929.
Today, one can still visit the site of the former school at the Oakland Aviation Museum, housed in Building 621. This original hangar was built in 1940 by the Boeing School of Aeronautics to train aviation mechanics for the US Army Air Corps and US Navy.