Oakland Aviation Museum Mission
about the role of historic North Field at Oakland International
Airport, Oakland and the Bay Area in the development of aviation on the
West Coast and in the US by collecting, preserving and interpreting
aircraft and aviation artifacts that reflect this proud heritage.
- Celebrate the history and technological achievements of aviation.
- Inspire individuals by linking aviationís past to the future.
The Oakland Aviation Museum was founded in 1981 as a non-profit organization under IRS Code 501 C (3) under the name of Western Aerospace Museum. The museum's first home was a small room at Hangar 5 at Oakland International Airport's historic North Field. In 1988, the Museum was granted use of the historic Boeing School of Aeronautics hangar built in 1939. The hangar serves as the primary facility of the Museum, providing indoor and outdoor exhibition space, an education room, a History Flicks room, a research library and aircraft restoration work areas. In 2007, Western Aerospace Museum was renamed Oakland Aviation Museum with the historical mission refocused on the important legacy of flight at North Field and the surrounding area.
We are proud to be a continued partner with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport in preserving and presenting the East Bay's history of flight